It’s National Animal Shelter Appreciation week, so we have put together a list of 10 great reasons why adopting a shelter pet could be a good idea for you and your family. Of course, before adopting any pet, we encourage you to consider all the responsibilities and commitments of being a pet owner to make sure it’s the right decision for you.
- You provide the pet with a fresh, new start.
- You can adopt a pet for lower fees (compared to, for example, adopting a pure bred dog).
- If you adopt an adult pet from the shelter, you can know more about what you are getting (what the animal looks like, the size, and something about the temperament). The pet can also already be housebroken (you skip the puppy stages).
- Shelters have a variety of sizes and breeds/breed mixes to choose from –so you can find one that fits your lifestyle and personality!
- You become a part of the solution in helping with pet overpopulation.
- You support your county’s efforts in caring for shelter animals.
- You open up room at the shelter for another animal to receive sheltering and care while he or she waits to find a forever home.
- You open your heart to give and receive unconditional love.
- You get to experience the positive and healthy benefits of the human-animal bond.
- You can save a life and offer the pet a forever home!
As of November 9, 2016, the Guilford County Animal Shelter website shows they have 572 shelter animals. If you are thinking about adopting a pet right now, you might find your forever friend there!
Don’t forget – we are collecting donations this week that will go to the Guilford County Animal Shelter. Be sure to stop by our office and drop off items by Saturday, November 12.
Wish list items include: Pate style canned cat food; dry dog/puppy/cat/kitten food; blankets and towels; Dawn dish soap; bleach; hand sanitizer; hand soap; paper towels; office supplies; crates and carriers’ KONG style dog toys; cat toys; Kurunda dog beds.
Author: Dr. C. Noureddine, DVM, MS