With all the holiday hustle and bustle, it’s a busy time of year! Lawndale has some quick tips and ideas to make this season special (and safe!) for all the pets and pet lovers in your life.
Holiday Gift Ideas for Pet Lovers:
- A Spa Day (bath and nail trim)
- Gift cards
- Puzzle toys (these are challenging and entertaining!)
- Chew toys (make sure they are appropriate for chewing strength)
- Cat teaser toys
- Catnip, catnip-filled toys
- Laser pointers for chasing (don’t point it at the eyes!)
- Dental chews
- Dog collar and leash
- Brushes and deshedding tools
- Food and water bowls
- Can covers
- Pet carrier
- Pet beds and blankets
- Cat towers / climbing trees (and don’t forget, if you bring your cat in for an appointment at Lawndale during December, your cat will be entered into a drawing to win a new cat tower!)
- Scratching posts, cardboard scratchers
Holiday Safety Tips:
- Table scraps can make pets sick by causing things like vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, or even a gastrointestinal obstruction (if they eat bones, etc.). Some foods are even toxic. Stick to pet food and pet treats this holiday season.
- Potpourri can be toxic, and candles can cause injury or even accidental fires when left near curious pets.
- Many holiday plants are toxic. Keep plants out of reach of pets.
- Traveling with your pet can be a lot of fun. Make sure you are prepared ahead of time for pet travel.
- Are you traveling for the holidays and leaving your pets behind? Learn more about important boarding and pet sitter considerations here.
- Houseguests can be exciting for many pets, but some pets can feel overwhelmed. Learn more about pets and houseguests here.
- Holiday decorations can pose numerous pet hazards. Keep your house pet-proof and supervise your pets around lights and other decorations.
Finally, remember to take time to relax and snuggle with your pet this holiday!
Author: Dr. C. Noureddine, DVM, MS