Proper Food Storage & Safe Food Handling:
Make sure you follow good pet food storage technique:
- Follow any recommendations on the food packaging (expiration date, temperature requirements, etc.).
- Storing dry food in its original bag helps to maintain the original flavor of the food.
- Store in a cool, dry location to prevent destruction of vitamins and oxidation of fats, which could lead to rancidity.
- Opened cans should be refrigerated and used within the manufacturer’s recommended timeframe.
- Wash your pet’s food and water bowls regularly.
Safe Food Handling:
- Pet foods, like many other types of foods, can be susceptible to contamination with bacteria that can be harmful.
- Take steps to minimize your risk of contracting food borne illness from pet foods by following safe handling techniques (properly store pet food, wash hands, keep pet food and water bowls clean, etc.)
- Avoid feeding pets raw food diets and treats. These diets can be contaminated with harmful bacteria like Salmonella.
- For additional safe food handling tips, see the FDA’s information page on Safe Handling Tips for Pet Food and Treats.
Pet Food and Treat Recalls:
Wondering if your pet’s food or treats have been recalled?
~Author: Dr. C. Noureddine, DVM, MS